Tuning Devices

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 20:11:14 -0600

The problem with guitar tuners is that they are not intended for the wide
harmonic range of a piano.  They do not accommodate a piano's inharmonicity
at all either.  I've been called in to tune a baby grand piano that a
guitarist had tried to tune with a wrench and a guitar tuner.  The
temperament octave was compressed and the octaves were terrible--no stretch
etc.  You can use them to set a temperament in a larger piano acceptably
for non-tuners, but when you get into the little monsters you will run into
clashing intervals in the temperament octave.
If you are going to use an ETD, I recommend getting one that is intended
for pianos or they will end up being more work to correct than any work
they could save you.  If you have a portable computer with a soundcard,
Tunelab97 is cheap enough.

My humble, blunt opinion,
Andrew