One pass Large Pitch Raises Safe?

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 20:45:02 -0600

I've been following a discussion regarding a large pitch-raise of 100 cents
or more being done in one pass.  Is this safe?  Do you run the risk of
damaging a plate by, say, concentrating tension in one area as you begin to
pull the pitch up.  I'm not talking about strings which are risky in their
own way.  I've understood that when there is such a large tension
adjustment to be made that it is safer to spread it out as octaves, such as
all the A's then all of the E's then all of the C's, then fill in the rest
after which you do a fine tune.  Am I being overly cautious?

Andrew