P12 in Tunelab Pro

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:02:20 +0200

David...

All due respect to Virgil and desciples for sure... but until this
claimed <<audible beat>> can be indentified in some quantifiable sense
then not that many folks are going to be able to figure out what it is
and use it purposefully.  And, the fact that for well over     25 years
Sandersen and Coleman have been trying very hard to figure out what
Virgil is talking about, and find nothing brings into question the whole
concept. It could very well end up being as they claim... a simple
misunderstanding of coincident partials beating. Virgils own writings on
that matter do not reflect a deep understanding of coincedent partials
theory as best I can tell. He renounces their usefullness to begin with,
and talks about wide 6:3 octave types in the upper treble as being a
result of his <<natural beat>>.

Cheers
RicB