P12 in Tunelab Pro

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 22:42:37 -0700

on 5/31/04 7:18 AM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> There is no meaningful description for the net affect of the sum of all
> coincidents at present. Virgil Smith claims the existence of a so called
> natural beat... but this has yet to be quantified in any sense of the
> word... so it usefulness remains questionable at best.

I don't think its usefulness is questionable at all---I use it every time I
tune, and following it has allowed me to become a really, really good piano
tuner. I can change a player's entire perception of an instrument with a
precise, musical, aural tuning using Virgil's natural beats tuning and 10
minutes with a chopstick voicer.  I've done it hundreds of times, following
up on some of the best people in town (LA).
For me, perfect 12ths are not nearly as important as slowly rolling,
precisely moving 4ths, 11ths, and 18ths----much easier to hear, and the
perfect stretch calculator, IMO.  That said, my temperament and most of the
octaves I set turn out to be part of  close-to-perfect 5ths and  12ths.

Cheers,

David Andersen