P12 in Tunelab Pro

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:02:33 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

>on 5/31/04 11:02 PM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:
>

>>And, the fact that for well over     25 years
>>Sandersen and Coleman have been trying very hard to figure out what
>>Virgil is talking about, and find nothing brings into question the whole
>>concept.
>>

>Ric, Ric.....there have been collegial and intensely respectful discoveries
>back and forth in the relationship between Virgil Smith and Jim Coleman....I
>think both recognize the other as a wizard of great power; to make the
>statement that Coleman and Sanderson have found nothing in Virgil's work is
>simplistic at best.

Well of course there is a high degree of respect between these three.
Coleman is the first to recommend attendance at one of Virgils classes.
That said he will also say straight out that he believes Virgil is
indeed listening to coincidents and that the so called natural beat
doesnt really exist.  If thats simplistic...grin... well its meant to
be. I didnt feel like getting into a complicated dissertation on the
whole thing.

>The battle, or balance,  between theory and practice, between technical
>knowledge and intuitive wisdom, between proveable, linear science and the
>reality of the acoustic grand piano, will always be an interesting arena.
>Academicians and scientific pragmatists will usually demean/dismiss  the
>intuitive empiricists out of hand, either subtly or overtly, and vice-versa:
>a shame, because both can certainly learn from the other.

I'll agree with this as well.  So... tell me David... after having first
dismissed (tho not necessarilly demeaned) perfect 12ths in your last
post... can you honestly say you have put even a fraction of the effort
into checking out P12ths tuning as you obviously have to what you deem
to be Virgils method ?

For my part, I take Virgil seriously enough... and by that I mean
obviously the fellow is listening to something or he wouldnt get such
beautiful tunings.  I choose to believe at present that he is listening
for a kind of conglomerate affect that only a multi partial based ETD
could have a chance of picking up.  The archives have quite a bit of
musing from a few of us a couple years back on all that so I wont get
into it here. That said.... my own hunt for the natural beat lead me
quite a ways down the path of the P12th tuning.  I said to Isaac the
other day that I have yet to hear a more clearly defined and warm
sounding tuning then a well executed P 12th tuning.  And I think quite a
bit of the reasoning for that is the high degree of and near just first
degree coincidents in primary intervals.... which I would imagine is
central to Virgils tunings.

I think that if it can be said that

Academicians and scientific pragmatists will usually demean/dismiss  the
intuitive empiricists out of hand

then the opposite can be said as well... and quite easily and
justifiably so.  Its more a human trait then one you can simply
attribute to  any one grouping of people me thinks.

>Best, David A.

Cheers
RicB