P12 in Tunelab Pro

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:29:37 -0500

Richard Brekne wrote:
> > There is no meaningful description for the net affect of the sum of
all
> > coincidents at present. Virgil Smith claims the existence of a so
called
> > natural beat... but this has yet to be quantified in any sense of
the
> > word... so it usefulness remains questionable at best.

David Andersen responded:
> I don't think its usefulness is questionable at all---I use it every
time I
> tune, and following it has allowed me to become a really, really good
piano
> tuner.

 ..snip...

> That said, my temperament and most of the octaves I set turn out to be
part
> of close-to-perfect 5ths and  12ths.

David, I agree with you about Virgil's method. Whenever I tune (in ET)
that way, I end up with nearly pure 5ths and very nearly to pure 12ths.
All the octaves are pure sounding when used in any combination.

There is something about it that allows you to tap into the hidden power
of that individual piano. I notice it EVERY time, whether it's a 9'
Steinway or Yamaha U1 - it is a different and better sounding piano.

For me, it took a fair amount of listening and practicing to say, "Yes,
I can now hear what is there." But it was certainly worth it.

Have you noticed that false beats in the treble are greatly minimized
when tuning this way?

Regards,

John Formsma