P12 in Tunelab Pro

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:41:16 -0700

on 6/1/04 12:02 AM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> I'll agree with this as well.  So... tell me David... after having first
> dismissed (tho not necessarilly demeaned) perfect 12ths in your last
> post... can you honestly say you have put even a fraction of the effort
> into checking out P12ths tuning as you obviously have to what you deem
> to be Virgils method ?

Great question, although I must say I didn't even come close to dismissing
P12ths; in fact, here's what I said:

"For me, perfect 12ths are not nearly as important as slowly rolling,
precisely moving 4ths, 11ths, and 18ths----much easier to hear, and the
perfect stretch calculator, IMO.  That said, my temperament and most of the
octaves I set turn out to be part of  close-to-perfect 5ths and  12ths."

That's nowhere near a dismissal, my Nordic transplant. I just said in my
system, I've found that listening to 4ths, 11ths, and 18ths are easier and
more accurate than listening to 5ths, 12ths, and 19ths, ALTHOUGH I listened
to them, for most of my career, on every single note I tuned, especially
above the temperament.  So in answer to your question, I'm intimately
familiar with the P12th protocol, having heard about it many years ago.

OK?  Great thread, guys. Rock on, Ric, and my best.

David Andersen