Shift pedal for Steinway XR grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:17:39 -0500

>Today I was working on a Steinway XR grand. That's an M scale with a
>stretched case for a Duo Art player. The player has been removed.
>
>One problem is that the shift pedal does not function. The metal "heal" that
>protrudes through the action cavity to shift the action, is normally located
>at the rear of the cavity. On this piano it is in the center of the action,
>and the heal does not protrude into the cavity. It is recessed about 1/2"
>below the key bed. Therefore it cannot shift the key bed.
>
>There seems to be an intermediate piece missing. Is anyone familiar with the
>mechanism? What am I missing?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jerry Cohen

See the screw hole pattern around a bunch of nipple holes on the bottom of
the action where the shift lever clutch (piano parts and their functions
term) is? There was a maple block that screwed to that from underneath,
that was both a gang connector for the nipples, and a shift lever clutch
engagement for the action. Just make a block that works with the shift
lever and screw it on. No glue. You, or someone, will have to take it off
to pull the action some day.

Ron N