consistent downbearing measurements

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:01:29 +0200

Hi Paul.

Can I join my voice to yours, asking what's all about downbearing ?

Every downbearing measuring system I am aware of (carpet thread, Lowell
gauge, dial feeler of John Hartman's stick) seems hardly precise enough
to be able to ascertain one of these four statements : there is some
downbearing, there is alot of it, there is none of it or there is
negative one (those euclidean geometry maths associated with each method
should really inlcude a strict discussion on relative errors in
measuring process and in subsequent calculations).

I just experimented the influence of rear bearing on the sound of the
string, while setting the plate height in a piano with a new board.  On
one single string with positive front bearing, I just could not hear any
difference between negative rear bearing and positive one, that is : no
difference in volume, in sustain, nor in timbre.  (Front bearing
influence was more difficult to test, so I didn't.  But net downbearing
depends on rear bearing, no ?).  Now, this was on one single string, and
I can imagine that the story is different when considering a whole
stringing.  But this makes me think that the downbearing has mainly
influence on the board stiffness, foreseen that the board has positive
crown.
But I'll join my voice too when you say there are pianos with flat
board, no apparent bearing etc. that don't sound like junkers, and where
side bearing seems sufficient to provide the needed mechanical coupling
between string and bridge.

Regards,

Stéphane Collin