consistent downbearing measurements

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:52:54 -0500

Subject: Re: consistent downbearing measurements

       Greg
     Some techs do not rebuild but only use them to see if there is any
residual bearing left in the 90 year old almost flat or flat  board. Under
those conditions it's difficult to tell anything with the gauge because of
the bridge slope towards the rear & a sunken crown/bridge as well  One gets
really funky ideas of whats there &  not there if you know what I mean.
   As to your useage , yes of course this what they're for. I wasn't looking
for trick answers. It would be nice if the gauge were fashione from cast
brass or iron for a more solid seat on the string.
    Dale

  Could some explain the purpose of downbearing, how much downbearing where?
I and others I'm sure, have measured many a great sounding piano-even new
ones-that had almost no down bearing, or even negative downbearing.   Is
there a text/book that describes such elements of piano construction?  Maybe
I'm standing too close to the trees to see the woods.

  Paul C