Apart at the Seams (Epoxy??)

Ron May, RPT ronmay_rpt@Bellsouth.net
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:39:16 -0400

Evidently Baldwin had an on going problem with this separation at a certain
point with their verticals.

A few years ago I ran into this same problem and thought since the piano was
bairly out of warranty their may be a chance of their honoring a claim.  I
should have known better but it was worth a try.  They sent me their
recomended repair procedure for thisa problem as follows:

BALDWIN REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR SEPARATION IN PINBLOCK/BACKPOST ASSEMBLY

1.    Remove action from the piano.   DUH

2.   Create a uniform mark along the back of the piano to coincide with the
screw line along the top of the plate/tuning pin area in the front.

3.    Remove only one screw at a time for repair.  This prevents the need
for lessening the tension on the strings thus making a more stable tuning
after repair completion.

4.    Starting with the lowest bass screw, remove the screw and drill a hole
into the pinbnlock area from the rack aiming toward the empty screw hole.
As                                the drill hits the existing hole there
will be a tendency to self guide through the plate hole.

5.    Choose a carriage bolt with an excess length sufficient to accept a
lock washer and acorn nut.  For additional spacing, a flat washer may be
used.

6.    Force glue into the area relative to the replaced screw.  Insert the
carriage bolt from the back of the piano though the plate.  Install the lock
washer and tighten.

7.    Remove excess glue from top and repeat above procedure for each screw.

8.    It is recommended to replace all the screws along the top of the plate
to insure the longevity of the repair.

        Material Needed:    8" long 5/16" diameter drill bit
                                    5/16" diameter carriage bolts (1 for
each screw removed)
                                    5/16" flat washers
                                    5/16 lock washers
                                    5/16" acorn nuts   (hex nuts may be used
through not as attractive)

My repair went fine although I didn't follow all of Baldwin's suggestions.
I did loosen the tension in the piano and I used epoxy. Last I checked it
was still up to pitch.

Sooo, If you don't like their repair procedure, don't call me----call
"Gibson"

Ron May