Apart at the Seams--BALDWIN'S RECOMENDED FIX

Ron May, RPT ronmay_rpt@Bellsouth.net
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:37:24 -0400

Evidently Baldwin had an on going problem with this separation at a =
certain point with their verticals.

A few years ago I ran into this same problem and thought since the piano =
was bairly out of warranty their may be a chance of their honoring a =
claim.  I should have known better but it was worth a try.  They sent me =
their recomended repair procedure for thisa problem as follows:

BALDWIN REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR SEPARATION IN PINBLOCK/BACKPOST ASSEMBLY

1.    Remove action from the piano.   DUH

2.   Create a uniform mark along the back of the piano to coincide with =
the screw line along the top of the plate/tuning pin area in the front.

3.    Remove only one screw at a time for repair.  This prevents the =
need for lessening the tension on the strings thus making a more stable =
tuning after repair completion.

4.    Starting with the lowest bass screw, remove the screw and drill a =
hole into the pinbnlock area from the rack aiming toward the empty screw =
hole.  As                                the drill hits the existing =
hole there will be a tendency to self guide through the plate hole.

5.    Choose a carriage bolt with an excess length sufficient to accept =
a lock washer and acorn nut.  For additional spacing, a flat washer may =
be used.

6.    Force glue into the area relative to the replaced screw.  Insert =
the carriage bolt from the back of the piano though the plate.  Install =
the lock washer and tighten.

7.    Remove excess glue from top and repeat above procedure for each =
screw.

8.     It is recommended to replace all the screws along the top of the =
plate to insure the longevity of the repair.

        Material Needed:    8" long 5/16" diameter drill bit
                                    5/16" diameter carriage bolts (1 for =
each screw removed)
                                    5/16" flat washers
                                    5/16 lock washers
                                    5/16" acorn nuts   (hex nuts may be =
used through not as attractive)

My repair went fine although I didn't follow all of Baldwin's =
suggestions.  I did loosen the tension in the piano and I used epoxy. =
Last I checked it was still up to pitch.

Sooo, If you don't like their repair procedure, don't call me----call =
"Gibson"

----- Original Message -----=20