jack springs in drop action

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:32:46 -0500

Julia,

Joe's right about it being somewhat challenging - especially on a spinet
when the stickers get in the way. I'd try everything first before I remove
this action.

I reach in there first with a long tweezers to get most of the spring out -
it usually breaks. Then, while holding on to the wippen so as to prevent any
damage, pull the rest of the wire out with a small needle nose pliers, which
usually gets the glue out with it. I normally don't have to use the hole
cleaning tool.

I place a bit of glue on the bottom of the new spring before it goes in, but
you could use a sharpened hammer shank to put it in the hole first. Then, if
the planets are aligned just right, and you hold your tongue a certain way,
you can use the tweezers to squeeze the new spring and work it into place.
It'll likely take a while to get the hang of it if it's the first time
you've had to do this.

If you must remove this action, you'll first have to remove the player stuff
too. Plan on it taking a while since you'll have to figure it out.

Let us know how it goes. May the Force be with you!

Regards,

John Formsma