jack springs in drop action

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:17:04 -0700

Hi, Julia:
    I once had a similar Kimball player spinet with the same problem.  I managed to pull the action out, after removing the player mechanism (and laying it on the top of the pinblock).  I discovered that the bridle tapes interfered with the movement of the jacks.  Brain fag prevents me from remembering what I did to correct this, but see if this is at least part of your dilemma.  Maybe bending the bridle tape wire would help, if so.  Good luck in any case.  You're going to need it!
    Best,
    Paul Mccloud
    San Diego

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 06/03/2004 7:58:55 AM
Subject: jack springs in drop action

Greetings,

            I was called to tune a Kimball spinet player piano the other day on which a few (6) of the keys didnt work, only to find out that the jacks on these 6 keys were not returning all the way under the butt. This prevents the jack from delivering power the hammer.

             At first I thought the jack's center pin bushings were tight and swollen, then I saw the jack springs looked like they could use replacing. Is anyone familiar with this type of piano?

              Also, if the springs need replacing, is there a special tool or tweezer to reach back in there (drop action) to replace the spring?  Am I in for alot of labor here or what? Now I am thinking rehaps just a touch of a lubricant on the hammer's butt leather will do the trick. I didnt try that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA