HT, Ron Koval and Owen Jorgensen, longish

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:39:50 EDT

List,
=20
It was quite a serendipitous moment when I open my January 2004 Journal and=20=
=20
what do I find on the cover but Chopin=E2=80=99s 4th Ballade.  I had just de=
cided  to=20
program all four ballades at the end of the first half of my next  recital.=20=
 I=20
read with great interest Owen Jorgensen=E2=80=99s article as he laid  out th=
e emotive=20
key relationships and how they were enhanced by the use of a  historically=20
appropriate temperament. Being a tuner of necessity rather than  choice, I n=
ever=20
comment on tuning issues since I am much more comfortable in the  shop, so I=
=20
would like to approach this discussion from a pianist perspective  rather th=
an=20
a tuners=E2=80=99. =20
=20
I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend way back in High =20
School.  They were complaining about having to play a piece with 2 or 3 =20
accidentals, I mentioned that I was working on Tchaikowsky=E2=80=99s 1st Pia=
no Concerto  and it=20
had 5 flats throughout much of the work. They looked at me incredulously  an=
d=20
asked why would anybody do that when it would be easier to play if it had no=
 =20
accidentals.  I don=E2=80=99t remember what kind of answer I came up with, p=
robably =20
just as inane as the question.  But the question has stuck in the back of  m=
y=20
mind all these years only to finally be brought forward now.  There are  pie=
ce=20
actually made easier to play because of large number of accidentals, such  a=
s=20
Liszt=E2=80=99s LaCampenella.  It is written in G# minor, if it were transpo=
sed  up =C2=BD=20
step to A minor it would become virtually unplayable.  The black keys  actua=
lly=20
make the large and rapid leaps easier to play.=20
=20
Then there is the issue of timbre.  The tonal quality of all  instruments,=20
including the piano change as you move through their respective  ranges.  If=
 you=20
transposed the Tschaikowsky up a 4th or 5th you would  loose much of the dar=
k=20
brooding character.
=20
Mr. Jorgensen makes mention in the course of his discussions the frequent =20
application of emotional content to keys.  While many composers make  mentio=
n of=20
finding a certain quality in certain keys, I would be hesitant to  read too=20
much into these ideas.  I think it is more appropriate to look at  this issu=
e=20
from a perspective on an accumulated and historical experience.   As an=20
example, if I had been spending a lot of time playing the Wander Fantasy  of=
 Schubert=20
I might think that C Maj was a pompous key, but if instead I was  living in=20
Mozart=E2=80=99s Sonatas K330 or K545 I might imagine a greater elegance and=
  dignity=20
in that key.  Our experience of key color, I believe is strongly  shaped by=20=
our=20
past experiences with that particular key and reflects that  accumulated=20
experience.  Even if a musician can=E2=80=99t play =E2=80=9Cname that pitch=
=E2=80=9D  most still have a=20
subconscious sense of pitch memory, which will inform this  idea of key =E2=
=80=9Ccolor=E2=80=9D
.  I know in myself I hear key colors even in ET where  theoretically none=20
should exist.  The only source for this would have to be  previous emotional=
=20
experience with those keys.
=20
I at time seek others to come and tune my pianos, so when Ron Koval called =20
and said he was going to be in the neighborhood I invited him over to take a=
 =20
look at a Conover 77 I had recently rebuilt with new board, block, finish, =20
actions.  (She is a gem, at least in my eyes!) =20
=20
Ron installed his KV 4.4 temperament.  It is a HT of modern origin  designed=
=20
by Ron, its thirds range from 7.5 - 18.7 cents from pure.  More  information=
=20
is available at _www.rolingball.com_ (http://www.rolingball.com) . I have=20
played music  ranging from Goldberg Variations by Bach, Beethoven=E2=80=99s=20=
Op. 57 Sonata,=20
Medtner=E2=80=99s  Sonata Tragic, all four Chopin Ballades, Ravel=E2=80=99s=20=
Piano Concerto=20
for the Left  Hand, and for about 1 =C2=BD hours the other day I worked with=
 a very ta
lented young  man on the Rococo Variations of Tschaikowsky. =20
=20
I LKED IT!  The variations in major keys in the Bach had greater  repose and=
=20
the minor variations were darker and less stable.  All four  Chopin Ballades=
=20
have a similar alternation between periods of agitation and  repose, and the=
 KV=20
4.4 temperament brought out an increased contrast between  these sections. =20
Even the two 20th Century pieces, the Ravel and Medtner,  were comfortable i=
n=20
this temperament.  The Ravel has a jazzy middle  section, which may have los=
t a=20
little noise in the parallel triad passages, this  may or may not be a good=20
thing, though I initially liked the cleaner  sound.  It also made the=20
repetitions of the theme in more remote key more  striking.  As far as the T=
schaikowsky=20
Rococo went, the cellist had some  intonation problems at first but quickly=20
adapted to what was on the piano.
=20
Over time Ron has been gradually convincing me of the benefits of some of =20
these mild HT.  One does have to be careful about getting too aggressive if=20=
=20
your repertoire wanders over a period greater than a generation.  I think  m=
y=20
friend had a great question.  Why did the composer choose certain  keys?  I=20=
think=20
the answer is more complex than I have covered here and I am  sure a=20
dissertation or two have and could be written on key selection.
=20
Andrew Remillard