HT, Ron Koval and Owen Jorgensen, longish

Pianotunaguy@aol.com Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:11:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/04 7:40:49 AM, ANRPiano@aol.com writes:

> I know in myself I hear key colors even in ET where theoretically none=20
> should exist.=A0=20
>=20
Why not?   The number of beats in a major third varies from triad to triad.=20=
 =20
Why wouldn't that lend color to keys in ET?   I have always heard differing=20
colors in different keys. too, and I have this experience with any piano.  I=
n=20
tune or not, HT or ET.   Really, it seems to me to be a phenomenon exclusive=
 of=20
temperament choice.   Ask yourself, this, Andrew:   don't you recognize=20
colors in different keys on any piano?    And if you do, as I suspect you mu=
st,=20
then the choice of keys by composers may be independent of temperament.

That said, I understand and agree with your delight over the non-ET tuning o=
n=20
your Conover.   There's no question that the refined ear can enjoy the=20
non-homogenization of an HT or non-ET tuning.

PianoTunaGuy (PTG)

P.S.
Some day I hope to be an RPT (RegularPianoTuna)