Yamaha Butt Spring Cords Replacement

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:31:29 -0700

Patrick said: "Repetition is degraded and hammer bobbling may increase. Do
they all
stop working? No? Can one feel that the response is poorer? Yes."

Patrick,
In this particular case, that is not the situation. If you would re-read my
post, regarding my client and the recommendation I gave him, you would see
that there is no perception of "response is poorer". The way this Yammie is
set up, with the action, (top), tipped back towards you, gravity is taking
care of the situation. I've developed a pretty good sense of "touch" over
the years and I could not tell between a broken one and it's neighbor with a
cord in tact. That is what amazed me. The client, as I said, plays at an
upper intermediate level and his daughter plays at a low high level. Neither
percieved anything amiss! The only reason I spotted it, was because of the
"Gremlins".<G>
As for the spring being bent, the springs, on this piano are all standing
up, (like little soldiers), in a vertical position. This, I attribute to
basic inertia causing the spring to pivot to that position when the note is
played with medium force. I tested this and found it to be true. I could get
only one, (of several), to bind/hit on the damper lever. When this did occur
it only did it once and then the spring went vertical on the second blow. Go
figger.<G>
I am going to urge the client to consider rectification when it is feasible
for him. Currently he is concerned with getting his mother's Steinway moved
from California. It's possible that when the grand is played, then the
comparison of repetition will become apparent and he'll act. That's my plan
and I'm stickin' with it.<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police