Yamaha Butt Spring Cords Replacement

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:21:06 -0700

Bending is not a problem. When the cords are replaced is the time when
they can be easily straightened. In the meantime, being bent keeps them
from catching on the damper levers (however they got bent) and most of
the time no difference is noticed.

When it's a problem is on a slow release of the key... you're just
coming to a quiet, serene ending of a piece and as you take your fingers
off the keys, one or more of the hammers give the strings a parting shot
you hadn't planned on because the return springs can't do their job.

I did one job a while back where 2 of the springs were touching damper
levers and not flipping up out of the way. Playing the notes did not
causes the springs to bend, either. I sold her on a spring cord job
'cause this one was way past the rule of 6.

Tom Cole