Caracas Steinway

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:22:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>He you gurus,
>Everybody but Ric was wrong on this one.

He wasn't wrong in this particular case.  I've seen New York As of this age
that have rounded arms.  There are likely New York As with two pedals
but I haven't seen one myself.  Obviously there are Hamburg As of
this age with three pedals, but once again, I've never seen one
myself.  This is an 85 note piano, but I've seen pianos with lower serial
numbers with 88 notes.  They were doing lots of different things back then.
This isn't an exact science.  BTW, TP was right about it being an 1891 round tail A.

>This S&S mod A 1891 was a Hamburg one, following S&S archives.  Though, it
>has 3 pedals, not 2.  And the arms are exactly the same as those seen on
>S&S NY website (see attached pic).
>
>S&S customer service wrote :
>
>According to our records this piano is a model A grand, 85 notes, in ebony
>finish. It was manufactured in our Hamburg factory on June 9, 1891 and
>sold to Heny in Caracas.
>
>Marge
>Customer Service
>
>TP wrote :
>
>The A you describe if the serial number is correct would be a 6' round
>tail A made in 1891.  The shape of the arm in New York at that period was
>a rounded arm.   Check the case cabinet wood material.  Most of the A's
>from New York would have been rosewood or ebony.  It is most likely
>New York because it would have been closer. Hope the serial number is
>wrong and you have a 6'4" A  TP
>
>Phil Ford wrote :
>
>If you'd prefer to guess, I'll give you this hint -  Steinways of this
>age: 2 pedals - Hamburg, 3 pedals - NY.
>
>Phil Ford

I see you chose to edit my post for your own purposes.  The entire quote
from the archives:

'If you don't want to guess then call Steinway and give them the serial
number and they will tell you.  If you'd prefer to guess, I'll give you this
hint -  Steinways of this age: 2 pedals - Hamburg, 3 pedals - NY.'

I would offer that the 'gurus' who suggested that you contact Steinway
weren't wrong.  Glad to be of help.

Phil Ford
Steinway guru