Tuning styles with octaves

Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:58:37 -0700

The question is what do you mean by perfectly?  If you have a measuring
device that allows for direct measurement, such as a SAT III, tune an
octave pure at the 4:2 level, then measure the same two notes at the 6:3
level, or the 8:4 level.  You will find that not all of the coincident
partials will be "perfectly" tuned.  In other words, there is no such
things as perfectlly tuned octave.  How clean the octaves sound is another
matter and I admit to a preference for cleaner sounding octaves such that
when you play A2, A3, A4, A5 together, for example, you don't hear much of
a roll unless you linger there for awhile.  Still, if measured at certain
partials, the octaves would measure at less than perfect.  The piano
generally tells you (if you listen, of course) where it wants to be and
even if you are using an ETD, it is important to determine by ear just what
kind of octaves will work best for a particular piano, that is, how much
stretch is appropriate.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net