Overs' I-rib sound board - first info

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:39:14 +1000

>Ron,
>
>This seems a good idea.  I see that you say that the rib is 60%
>stiffer than a conventional rib.  Is it as light or lighter than a
>conventional rib?
>
>Phil Ford

Hi Phil,

They are 25% lighter than a 25 mm X 25 mm rib at their centre where
the bottom flange is full width. Once the bottom flange is tapered
they become lighter still. This works very well in the mid to low
bass areas where less weight is a distinct advantage. However, the
treble requires a certain mass to function properly. We keep the
treble ribs deeper than usual in the treble to maintain mass and to
increase their load carrying capacity. The uppermost ribs for many
conventionally ribbed pianos only measure around 20 X 20 mm, which is
possibly a bit light on. The I-rib is about 10% heavier than ribs of
that dimension.

I've got another page nearly ready which shows the ribs under test on
the bench. Might get it up tonight.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY