Overs' I-rib - second info page and images

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:38:19 +1000

Hello all again,

I just uploaded a second page on the development of the I-rib. The
first page which I loaded onto the website last night was;
http://overspianos.com.au/iribbd1.html

Phil Ford, you asked about the weight of our ribs compared to
'standard' solid ribs. I answered you earlier but I didn't see it
come in to my computer when I download the pianotech mail earlier.
The I-ribs are 25% lighter than a 25 X 25 mm rib when the lower
flange is at full width under the bridge. We keep our higher treble
ribs somewhat deeper than most other makers, who often reduce them to
around 20 X 20 mm.

The second I-rib page can now be found at;

http://overspianos.com.au/iribbd2.html

For those of you who may be interested in looking at additional
images without any accompanying html pages as yet, links are provided
below. They'll be a little slow to load for those of you with 56 k
dial-up accounts (between 20 to 40 secs each).

An additional overall image of the sound board for piano no. 4;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/sndbdno4.jpg

A view of the I-rib center-web profiling jig for ribs 11 and 12;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/profilingjg.jpg
Each rib has its own profiling jig, which allows for the soundboard
crown to be varied as required.

A view of the I-rib positioning jig for the vacuum press, with the
ribs mounted on the jig;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/vacprss4.jpg

A close view of one-of-two spring loaded guide pins for aligning the
sound board panel to the ribs during the gluing-down of the panel;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/vacprss3.jpg

A close/low angle view of the I-ribs mounted on the vacuum press,
showing the crowned top flange of the I-ribs;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/iribbrd4.jpg
The longest ribs for our 225 sound boards are currently crowned to a
50' radius, gradually reducing to a 30' radius for the shortest
treble rib.

A view of the vacuum press with the rib set mounted and the perimeter
vacuum diaphragm protectors in place;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/vacprss1.jpg

A overview of the press with the panel being glued to the ribs;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ronovers/vacprss2.jpg

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY