Mezzo-thermoneal stabilizer, plus DC with no controller

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:19:28 -0400

List,

Gee, all this time I thought you guys were pulling my leg about the =
mezzo-thermoneal stabilizer!  Today, I tuned my first one!  Had I known, =
I would have worn my radiation suit for protection!  (Conrad, do your =
standard-issue suits cover this hazard?)

20+ yr-old Kimball studio in a church, hammers and pin torque not bad, =
but worn action.  One hammer wobbled so much it hit the next string over =
on a soft blow.  I thought it was a loose flange screw, but it must be =
the pinning that's so bad!  Bass string tone that makes your eyes water.

It had a DC heater bar without controller, which was unplugged, so I =
left it that way (80 degrees and 66% humidity), since the church isn't =
air-conditioned, and I didn't want to have to come back after it =
restabilized.  It's a 15W bar, the width of the piano, with "PIN PEG" as =
the only identifying part number.

Is this the kind of old heater bar that could be dangerous if left =
plugged in (possibly catching fire)?  Secondly, it seems like 15W would =
be way too low for this situation (we have a lot of humidity even up =
here in the mountains).  Keys weren't sticking, and also I'd want to =
make sure they'd leave it plugged in if I used it (this was my first =
visit to this customer; lots of education to do).

Suggestions?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV