Pulley Keys

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:43:21 +0200

If possible I'll use thicker balance pins, and if not glue size some
or installing wood washers (2cm diameter, 5 mm thickness)with a tool
sold in Germany (Jahn) look like the Onesti tool, but use the
machining cylindrical hole below the balance hole (if exist) to center
the washer's place.

One of the tricks to stay aligned is to assess correctly the balance
pin angle, it is rarely 90° to the keys, because the balance rail is
usually drilled at the same time than the keys, at this moment the key
plank may be positioned differently from square depending of the
keyboard.

With a thin key bottom isn't a big problem, but with a thicker one the
slight angle if not respected when drilling the washer's place, is
enough to get you off line at the front.

It usually align well enough, if the key is fixed in a vice, but the
vice itself is not fixed on the drill table so the tool follows its
path better.

I use a special tool to thin the inside part of the wood washer if the
wood is too thick in the end.

Hope it is understandable enough !

Isaac OLEG