Tuning styles with octaves

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:33:02 +0200

Tuned the unisons of a vertical piano in a theater without a mute and
without even opening the piano (time was very short)
just with a finger to locate which pair of strings is not good, then
hearing that defect in the 3 strings unison and correcting it.

If one take care of not closing the tone while doing that, this is a
very good training to tune nice unisons indeed.

Tuning unisons with noise around is also interesting (!), but really
tiring in the end. It help (may be because of the so called 'mask
effect') to focus to the important part of the tone which is what is
heard by the audience, the conductor, or other musicians.

And you can also train to feel the unison energy in your finger, that
oblige not to be not too hard with your playing hand (while you can
have a firm touch , but without any tension remaining once the note is
played (getting then in "sensitive mode")

Indeed that is far from listening to coincident partials, and it is
less tiring as then we can listen more naturally.

Tuning was often learned with unisons tuned since the start in France,
depend off the person, and the school.

On a grand the left pedal can also help to tune with less mute move.

Best regards

Isaac OLEG

"extreme" tuning !