Pulley Keys

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:41:57 +0200

Or use hoty glue and position the wood washer on the stack , heat
everything, glue and straighten the key with a rule (case where the recess
for the washer is too large or the washer too thin.

There is a difficult part in having the good wood washers that have a good
fit vs the machined emplacement.

in the time I expressed I did not count the wood washer drilling, that is
not very fast work (1 hour or even more may be to make a set)

Tobne wood for violins is good for the washers but one have to know the
producer or the cost will be too high.

Isaac

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Sarah Fox
Envoyé : dimanche 13 juin 2004 04:51
À : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Pulley Keys

Hi Terry, David,

There's an article about the technique on the Onesti Piano web site:

http://www.onestipiano.com/pages/journalarticle.html

This seems to be a relevant section:

<<If there are keys with massive damage so that a gauge pin will not center
in the hole, the key can be placed in the keyframe with neighbors to align
properly while sitting on a snug fitting paper punching of .015" or greater
glued onto the bottom of that key. This will provide an adequate guide for
the pin and cutter. Selecting the proper drill bit for the size of the
balance pins, insert it into the plug cutter, centering properly.>>

The following technique might be used to *establish* the correct alignment
for the "snug fitting paper punching":

(1) Put a snugly fitting paper punching over the balance rail pin.
(2) Put a tiny dab of glue on the punching.
(3) Carefully lower the key onto the punching, making sure to position it
correctly with respect to its neighbors.
(4) Leave key until glue is dry.
(5) Remove key and mark/measure the position of the punching hole (perhaps
by making a mark exactly X-distance "aft" of the correct position).
(6) Cut the notch, glue in new material, etc., etc. -- placing the balance
rail pin hole at the previously measured location.

Or here's another idea:

(1) Cut a notch in the key.
(2) Cut an insert to go in the notch, leaving just a tiny bit of room for
fore/aft "wiggle," and leaving just a tiny bit of excess width (not so much
as to touch neighboring key).
(3) Drill a balance rail pin hole in the insert in the "best guess"
location.
(4) Dry-assemble the insert and notched key on the keyframe and check for
alignment.  Needs tweaking? Remove material from appropriate end of insert
to achieve correct alignment.  The point is that it should be *possible* to
align the keystick over the insert, when sliding it around.
(5) Remove keystick.  Leave insert on balance rail pin.
(6) Put Titebond on both surfaces.  Lower keystick onto insert.  Align
correctly with neighbors.  Let dry.  Perhaps epoxy would be a better, albeit
messier, glue for this step, since clamping the joint (e.g. with weight)
while maintaining alignment might be problematic.
(7) Remove keystick/insert.  Shape the insert flush with the key.
(8) Fill any fore/aft gaps with epoxy (using tape on the sides to retain
it).

Would that work?

Peace,
Sarah