Pulley Keys

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:24:18 -0300

One of the supply houses used to have a repair kit. It had a bit that centred on the hole, and you drilled a recess, that a fibre washer fitted in.
They apparently were noisy, in some situations.
I can't remember where I got it.
I will need to remember, if I need to get any replacement insert washers. :-(
I found it, it is called Key-Craft, and is on page 64 of the Schaff Catalogue, item #258.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sarah Fox
  To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net ; Pianotech
  Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 10:22 AM
  Subject: Re: Pulley Keys

  Hi David,

  >That sounds like an ingenious way to do one key, but unfortunately there are 88 which have the same problem...

  <shrug>

  I was mostly suggesting a solution for Terry's job, in which there are about a half dozen difficult keys.  I happen to own the keys in question!  ;-)

  Here's an idea that is totally untried and untested, but definitely cheap:

  How about black fiber washers?  Some nut and bolt supplier may be able to supply these things pretty cheaply.  They seem pretty tough, more so than hardwood (?), and I imagine they're quite durable.  I don't know the material, but they should be gluable -- possibly with Titebond, and most certainly with epoxy.  Perhaps one could get a bag of, oh, a couple hundred of them for a buck or two, and ream the center hole to the needed size with a sharp bit.

  How to cut the recess in the keystick?  Use a pilot-point drill bit, chucked in a drill press.  Pilot-point bits, made by DeWalt, I believe, cut flat-bottomed holes -- with a demple in the middle (the pilot point).  Clamp the key firmly, and make all the necessary adjustments to limit travel to the desired depth.  The key can be positioned in the clamp with a removable balance rail pin, which would extend from the clamp, through the keystick.  Once in position, clamp, and then remove the pin.  Drill, glue your un-reamed fiber washer, and move on.  After the glue is dried/cured, ream the entire set to the correct size.