Pulley Keys

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:22:29 -0400

Hi David,

>That sounds like an ingenious way to do one key, but unfortunately =
there are 88 which have the same problem...

<shrug>

I was mostly suggesting a solution for Terry's job, in which there are =
about a half dozen difficult keys.  I happen to own the keys in =
question!  ;-)

Here's an idea that is totally untried and untested, but definitely =
cheap:

How about black fiber washers?  Some nut and bolt supplier may be able =
to supply these things pretty cheaply.  They seem pretty tough, more so =
than hardwood (?), and I imagine they're quite durable.  I don't know =
the material, but they should be gluable -- possibly with Titebond, and =
most certainly with epoxy.  Perhaps one could get a bag of, oh, a couple =
hundred of them for a buck or two, and ream the center hole to the =
needed size with a sharp bit.

How to cut the recess in the keystick?  Use a pilot-point drill bit, =
chucked in a drill press.  Pilot-point bits, made by DeWalt, I believe, =
cut flat-bottomed holes -- with a demple in the middle (the pilot =
point).  Clamp the key firmly, and make all the necessary adjustments to =
limit travel to the desired depth.  The key can be positioned in the =
clamp with a removable balance rail pin, which would extend from the =
clamp, through the keystick.  Once in position, clamp, and then remove =
the pin.  Drill, glue your un-reamed fiber washer, and move on.  After =
the glue is dried/cured, ream the entire set to the correct size.