Standards for pedal movement, keyboard height?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:28:57 -0400

This came up on rec.music.makers.piano -- why does the amount of pedal =
travel vary so much from piano to piano?  The only parts that the =
pianist touches are the keys and the pedals.  If there's a standard for =
key dip (OK, more than one standard, but still, a range), is there a =
standard for "pedal dip"?

Along with that, why are keyboard heights different between uprights and =
grands -- or even between different uprights and different grands?  (Is =
it Bechstein that specifies key height above the floor?  I think there's =
at least one such manufacturer.)  After thinking about it, it seems that =
the hammer strike point for uprights gives a desire for the action to be =
higher (given the limitations of where the speaking length of C8 can =
be), but it's certainly possible with stickers and drop actions to put =
the keyboard anywhere it needs to be, above or below.  Of course, having =
owned a Porsche 914 with a goofy 87-part shift lever that went around =
into the *rear* of the transmission (at the back of the car), I =
understand the problems of having more parts in the way.  Are stickers =
such a bad solution?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV