Standards for pedal movement, keyboard height?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:14:31 -0500

>This came up on rec.music.makers.piano -- why does the amount of pedal
>travel vary so much from piano to piano?  The only parts that the pianist
>touches are the keys and the pedals.  If there's a standard for key dip
>(OK, more than one standard, but still, a range), is there a standard for
>"pedal dip"?

No standards. That's why. Why isn't there a standard, or set of ranges,
determining lyre placement? They vary quite a bit, but I've never had a
pianist complain. We discuss action regulation to microscopic tolerances to
give the pianist maximum control, and then slide the action back into a
piano with arbitrary key height and pedal placement (and travel).

>  Are stickers such a bad solution?
>
>--Cy Shuster--

No, but they're more expensive than capstan dowels. But why stop there? How
hard would it be for a manufacturer to put a decent string scale in a
piano? Etc, etc, etc... Is it evil intent, ignorance, stupidity, genius
marketing to sell something else, or entirely arbitrary and random?

Ron N