Pulley Keys

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:00:31 EDT

Dale writes:
   Bill Spurlock has  a method for doing this as well & it's fairly low tech.
I've done this a few times with his method but it's a bit slow The secret is
a flat piece of steel with a hole fore the balance rail pin drilled in it.This
slips over the pin on the keyframe in place of the balance punching & then
the key is placed on top of it. The key front is lined up to a straight edge
running across the fronts of the keys & then it is pushed down on the steel plate
jig that has the tip of a center pin just protruding above the surface of the
jig on each end. This puts the reference marks about 1/2" on either side of
the balance hole. Remove the key ,cut out a the offending area,glue in a new
piece off bass wood or whatever then hold the key in a cross vice, lay the jig
back in the reference marks & drill the new  hole thru the locator hole in the
jig.
We've used this method, too, maybe four times. The first time it took about
10 or 12 hours, but it's now about a day. It works very well. Bill details it
in the May 1990 PTJ.

Bob Davis