A Tools Value

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:43:08 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 11:39 AM
Subject: A Tools Value

 > . . . . .  IMO, the cost of our tools, necessary to do what we do, is
VERY cheap
> compared to other businesses. If you doubt that, then check out your
> plumber, electrician, machinist, carpet cleaner....the list is endless!

    I disagree somewhat.  Most of the tools for doing most household
plumbing, wiring, and carpet cleaning can be obtained at the local hardware
store or "big box" home improvement store.  Compared to the cost of regular
ol' pliers, pipe wrenches, channel locks, wire cutters & strippers, and even
conduit benders, auger bits, and fish tape, piano-servicing tools are quite
expensive, and can approach or exceed $100 or more per tool for your nicer
key easing pliers, rosewood tuning levers, damper felt pliers,
compound-leverage wire-bending pliers, hammer boring guides, and other
specialized items.
    Common power tools such as saws, drills, sanders, grinders, and hand
tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, etc. are common to many trades and I'm
not referring to them, but more to the specialized tools.
    Now, machine shop tools can be expensive, granted, especially for the
nicer, heavy-duty drill presses, lathes, milling machines, welding
equipment, etc., but most of the smaller wrenches, sockets, calipers,
gauges, etc. are common to the automotive trade, and not excessively costly
unless you're buying all Snap-On or other high-end brands.

> A quality tool, which I consider Onesti's to be, is cheap at any price. A
> cheap tool, is worthless, no matter how cheap.

    That's true.  I agree there, and granted, specialized tools don't sell
in the millions and cost more to design, produce, and market.
    So they're more expensive.
    There are quite a few tools in piano supply catalogs, however, that are
not that complex to make, but still make one wince at the price.  I think
it's because they have almost a monopoly and can charge what they like.  And
some of them break the first time you use them or need modification to fit
certain pianos, or to work better, and some don't work at all but continue
to be listed in the catalog (even tho' pianos in their present form have
been around for over a hundred years and one would think the tools by now
would be standardized and available in various levels of quality.  But no,
there's only one Belvinator rod discombobulator available -- take it or
leave it, 'cause nobody else makes one.)
    But, I'll also grant that with the hundred-dollar tool, you'll probably
only have to buy one in your lifetime, whereas if you get your hand tools at
Discount Barn or in the supermarket, they'll bend, twist, break, or wear out
in no time.
    --David Nereson, RPT