Bridge over troubled waters

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:29:10 -0500

>Can you not just go up a size without risking splitting the cap?  Most
>treble sections are pinned with #6 pins which are too small anyway.  Is
>there a clean way to ream, if necessary, in order to accomodate going up
>one size?  Or can you just put in larger pins?
>
>David Love

If there's room between the pins for the strings, I'd replace #6 with #7,
if for no other reason that I think #6 are too small for piano bridges in
the first place. I wouldn't just drive in the next size up without reaming
the hole. The difference between #7 and #7, or #7 and #8 is 0.010". That's
a lot to expect an old solid cap to take without splitting. Grinding a flat
on the cutting edges of an appropriately sized bit, parallel with the bit's
length so it makes a perpendicular scraper rather than a low angle chisel
edge, will ream the hole out without grabbing and chewing up the maple
nearly as badly as a standard bit. Drill at least deep enough that you can
drive the new pins in to finish height when you install them, so you won't
have to file the bloody things. Then re-notch and epoxy or CA the new pins in.

Ron N