Bridge over troubled waters

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:42:34 -0500

Subject: Re: Bridge over troubled waters

>Can you not just go up a size without risking splitting the cap?  Most
>treble sections are pinned with #6 pins which are too small anyway.  Is
>there a clean way to ream, if necessary, in order to accomodate going up
>one size?  Or can you just put in larger pins?
>
>David Love

If there's room between the pins for the strings, I'd replace #6 with #7,
if for no other reason that I think #6 are too small for piano bridges in
the first place. I wouldn't just drive in the next size up without reaming
the hole. The difference between #7 and #7, or #7 and #8 is 0.010". That's
a lot to expect an old solid cap to take without splitting.

Ron N

What size drill do you use for #7, #8, #9, #10 bridge pin?

Paul C