Weak pin block

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:39:47 -0300

Hi George,
As you probably guessed, loose pins in a row, normally indicate a crack in one of the laminations of the pinblock.
That said, depending on how many, drilling and plugging with pinblock plugs, might be the way to go.
Another option, is the epoxy, which would have more body to fill the crack.
There is lots in the archives re these fixes.
The actual brand name, is normally not an indication, of pinblock condition. Except in the case of the Amherst piano, a Canadian one. They are notorious for loose pins, and I believe it was determined, that they speeded up production so much that the pinblock wood was not properly cured. Cured, that is not the word is it?
Can you see the top of the pinblock?
Just a few pins, go with oversize to try.
As for doing it all with #4, try a few, and see how they hold, before committing yourself. Oh yes, the looseness up here, sometimes does not show up till, Jan/Feb, when the humidity can be down in the 20%'s.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Geo Bartlett
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 9:35 PM
  Subject: Weak pin block

  I am looking for info pin blocks in Williams New Scale Spinits...appears like a Can piano but cannot find past 1930... in Pierce Atlas  ....serial number 94763
  This piano has very weak pins throughout the bass and tenor sections...cannot haold the piano in tune ..problem also extends throughout the treble but  not quite so bad.
  Some in the bass section line up in two cases...4 to 5 pins in a line....question weather the pin block is cracked...or will I get away with a set of number 4 pins..

  Looking for advice on any one who might have come across one of these babies regarding the pina blocks.
  Regards
  George