Bridge over troubled waters

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:38:57 EDT

     Hi Ron
     Making my own bridge pins is/would seem to be a costly & pointless waste
of my time. I'd rather be fishing. As topperpiano said a black hole of
endless rebuilders hours or some such. Totally
  I just got a supply of knickel plated pins from Pianotek & except for some
who may choose to split hairs over the type of finish they prefer on their
bridge pins, they are very nice looking. Its kind of like , Do Iike blue tuning
pins or knickel ones. Its just a preference.
    Besides I've never had a client get upset at whether there new Yamaha had
shiny silver pins as opposed to their previously owned grandmamerica special
with the dingy blued ones.
   If I'm doing a bridge repin job, the function is the foremost
consideration & looks second. I like both but  my first choice is a tight bridge pin first
without having to use a slimy messy solution of whatever to size it. My
second choice is the slimy solution. However I've yet to figure out how to keep the
dust out of it. Know what I mean. Maybe it's just me. I might be epoxy
impaired
   As to David L.s question. With a slightly larger pin it may be completely
un-necessary to ream or drill for the next size up. In my experience if a
bridge has cracking already then any thing more than a little bit tighter will
simply cause the cracking to become worse. As I said once before, I feel sorry
for myself when I have to get the thoroughly epoxied pins out of a stwy bridge
so I can get the caps off. Oh & not thinking to kindly of the prior installer
of said messy solutions & pins.
   Ron Nice photos & description. Thanks for sharing this

 End of rant
    Dale
Hi Dale,

>Although i don not do this job frequently occasionally I find it
>advantageous to pull bridge pins in an existing bridge,renotch &
>then put in new pins.

Likewise.

>  However as many of you may know from doing this that most recently
>the current copper supply of bridge pins are just slightly smaller
>than the most originals which obviously does not help with getting a
>tight fit.

This can be a problem. We've made our own pins to the required size
by getting silver steel centreless ground to the oversize diameter we
require, then cutting the pins from the ground lengths of silver
steel. But its a slow and costly process. Renner supplies bridge pins
in several graduated diameters, but these pins do not have a very
high standard of finish. We've been using them to date, but I'm
looking for a better quality pin.

Ron O.