Pulley Keys - Define Please

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:47:39 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Holley" <gwholley@hi-techhousing.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 11:19 AM
Subject: Pulley Keys - Define Please

List.  I've been following the many discussion points back and forth over
the last few days on this subject of "Pulley Keys".
I've researched my Arthur Reblitz book and other reference books and I come
up short on a definition on "Pulley Keys".
Will someone please describe what a "pulley key" is, or what are "pulley
keys".
I'd be very grateful, and there may be others that will benefit from the
responce on this query.

Regards
Gordon Holley
Goshen, IN
Associate Member, Indiana Chap 467

    They used to call it "chucking keys", i.e., they made a "chucking" or
"clunking" noise when returning because of an ovaled-out, or elongated
balance pin hole.  "Pulley" is a bit misleading since it has nothing to do
with pulleys on shafts that drive belts and ropes, but refers to keys that
can be pulled toward, or pushed away from oneself because of an elongated
key pin hole.  These are usually caused by technicians removing keys
incorrectly.   --David Nereson, RPT