Petrof keyslip

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:35:40 -0500

>I service a couple of Petrof vertical pianos from time to time and I can't
>figure out how to get the keyslip off.  I've done everything that a
>technician usually has to do; look for screws, just yank on it, tap or
>pound on it, check under, over, from behind, but to no avail.
>Ah...the one thing I haven't done is check the Petrof service manual.
>I have that in a box in the closet buried under a bunch of stuff so that
>it won't get wrinkled.
>
>Kurt

Check the service manual first, then call the factory technical folks. If
neither of these is of any help, this was never intended by design to be a
field repair, and if the pianos are under warranty, I'd expect Petrof to
replace them. Make them accountable, or at least aware, by making noise at
them over it. They will, pretty much guaranteed, claim that this is the
very first time they have ever heard of this problem, so call them often
and keep them reminded. Maybe they will eventually become aware of the
problem and fix it. Even if you end up having to come up with some extreme
process of your own to make it work, Keep Petrof reminded of the(ir)
problem. This isn't something subjective like the feel of the action, or
general voicing, nor is it a dealer prep thing. It's Design Stupidity (DS),
and Design Stupidity ought (for once) to be the liability of the
manufacturer, rather than the customer or field tech. It happens to
everyone, but in this case, it shouldn't be that tough a thing to change.

Ha!

Ron N