clicking on hammer return

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:20:45 EDT

I've had this same thing occur in several newish pianos.  One was a
jack/knuckle noise that didn't sound at all like what it ended up being.  Teflonned the
knuckles, it was gone.

Similar noise, similar piano:  turned out to be the drop screws clicking on
the drop leather...kinda weird, but I've seen it a couple of times since.
Solution...teflon powder  rubbed in to the leather.  Gone.

Slightly different noise, occuring as the hammer dropped back to the whippen:
 the click turned out to be the rep spring chafing the grub(spring slot).
Brand new expensive German grand, Renner action.  I quick-fixed it by pulling
all of the springs out, and putting a drop of Protek on each and every one.
Gone!  I went back 6 months later, and the sound had not returned, though I
suspect that I will be cleaning the slots next time(I want to try my newly invented
tool, anyway.  It's a dental rubber tip, with the end of it being bent all
the way back up into a U so I can get in there without removing whippens).

I hope these suggestions help.   Let us know what you  figure out.

Dave Stahl