clicking on hammer return

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:31:30 -0400

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I spent a bit of time trying to figure it out with no progress. It is a=20=

Steinway grand and the hammer rests don't appear to be able to be=20
raised (they are connected to the whippen). However, I was able to=20
determine the shank isn't hitting the repetition level adjustment=20
screw.

I should be doing some regulation on it in the next couple of weeks, so=20=

I'll try out some of the other suggestions while I'm doing that.

Once I figure it out, I'll post the solution to the list.

- John

> I've had this same thing occur in several newish pianos. =A0One was a=20=

> jack/knuckle noise that didn't sound at all like what it ended up=20
> being. =A0Teflonned the knuckles, it was gone.
>
> Similar noise, similar piano: =A0turned out to be the drop screws=20
> clicking on the drop leather...kinda weird, but I've seen it a couple=20=

> of times since. =A0Solution...teflon powder =A0rubbed in to the =
leather.=20
> =A0Gone.
>
> Slightly different noise, occuring as the hammer dropped back to the=20=

> whippen: =A0the click turned out to be the rep spring chafing the=20
> grub(spring slot). =A0Brand new expensive German grand, Renner action.=20=

> =A0I quick-fixed it by pulling all of the springs out, and putting a=20=

> drop of Protek on each and every one. =A0Gone! =A0I went back 6 months=20=

> later, and the sound had not returned, though I suspect that I will be=20=

> cleaning the slots next time(I want to try my newly invented tool,=20
> anyway. =A0It's a dental rubber tip, with the end of it being bent all=20=

> the way back up into a U so I can get in there without removing=20
> whippens).
>
> I hope these suggestions help. =A0=A0Let us know what you =A0figure =
out.

> Dave Stahl=20=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available