paypal option

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:25:58 -0500

Getting set up to accept credit cards is pretty easy to do, most =
commercial banks would be happy to set you up. The problem comes from =
associated fees which can be all over the place between providers. But a =
little shopping here will minimize these. Usually it is much cheaper to =
use a service provider that specializes in credit card transactions. I =
think I use EFS National Bank (I'd have to check with the office mgr) =
which I originally signed up for through Nat'l Ass'n of Music Merchants =
(NAMM). They offered a group discount to all NAMM members, which I used =
to be at one time. I think I pay around 2-3%.
=20
To process credit card, I take a slip with me, hand fill in the numbers =
and have the customer sign. A regular invoice will do, actually, as long =
as they sign it, and you can transfer the info to a credit card slip in =
the office. Then the info is keyed into the credit card terminal, =
instead of swiping the card. The signed receipt is really only necessary =
in case the customer contests the charges. Then the processing company =
asks to see photocopies of the receipt.=20
=20
For those of you who do a lot of dealer work, you might be able to get =
the dealer to process for you, then cut you a check. You should expect =
to pay at least 4-5% for this service.
=20
Dean
=20