Stwy B boards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:12:11 EDT

   Perhaps a point of interest.
   I'm currently putting boards in 2 Stwy Bs. One is a 20's piano & the other
an 1895ish.  Any one who has looked at the bottom of the B has seen no cut
off bar but some amount of ribs that are whittled done significantly in the bass
corner with a flat maple stick running between them. It has printed on it
pulsator bar. patent 1878. No one has ever been able to explain what the thing is
for & in my mind promotes a significant loss of stiffness.
   I've always wondered what it was really for but in my mind it is useless.
for any reason I can see or hear. Oddly the older board had 14 ribs with the
extra one in the treble end, It had only 3 whittled down ribs & appeared to me
from a design point of view the stiffer idea. The 20's one had 5!! ribs
whittled down with only 13 ribs total. I suspect this board has been flat a really
looonngg time.
   The 1911 B & it's board I just sold & delivered was made without the
whittled down ribs. I ran the ribs full length to the bass corner with the usual
scallop. I have to say the sound was as good as any I've ever heard & am
convinced the extra crown support is far more important than the devices purpose
which is unknown & apparently unheard.
  Cheers
    Dale