Erard evaluation

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:21:51 -0700 (PDT)

List,
Tomorrow I am going to look at an Erard grand that I
moved for someone about 2 years ago.  The customer
wants an estimate on rebuilding it.  Although I
rebuild, I would not tackle this one myself so I need
to find someone who is experienced in working on
pianos such as this one that may date back to about
1830.  Observations I can remember include: About 7'
length, black frame/plate I think with a crack in it,
no tuning pin torque, block is split open, it was
"rebuilt" before they bought it in New Orleans a few
years ago. I'm trying to remember if it said anything
indicating whether it was made in Paris or London.

As I go and look at it tomorrow I would like some
advice on specific things to look for that will
prepare me to talk to a rebuilder.  I know the
customer will want to know the value of it as well.
They are contemplating whether to sell it and get
something else or keep it and have it rebuilt.

Thank you,
Bob