Stwy B boards

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:54:43 +1000

>Why not just replace the faux cut off with a real cut off bar?

Absolutely.

>The idea of the maple stick was to, perhaps, tie the ribs together
>to prevent oppositional movement in the bass corner and stiffen the
>assembly in that section.

Probably so, but if that was the reason it is floored logic. The tied
ribs will sink together, just as they would if there we no tie.

>   Wouldn't installing a real cut off bar both shorten those long
>ribs enough to stiffen them as well as place the bridge more in the
>middle of the board where it can function more efficiently?

Indeed.

>   (Have we been down this road before :-))
>
>David Love
><mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

We have been down this road David, and I concur with your view.
Sounds like its time for Dale to do a board with a real cut-off. Its
structurally superior, and results in a smaller sound board area for
the middle frequencies which is also more desirable. I'm sold on the
idea and I'd be interested to hear Dale's report after doing such a
modification.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY