Stwy B boards

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:32:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>    Perhaps a point of interest.
>    I'm currently putting boards in 2 Stwy Bs. One is a 20's piano & the
> other an 1895ish.  Any one who has looked at the bottom of the B has seen
> no cut off bar but some amount of ribs that are whittled done
> significantly in the bass corner with a flat maple stick running between
> them. It has printed on it pulsator bar. patent 1878. No one has ever
> been able to explain what the thing is for & in my mind promotes a
> significant loss of stiffness.
>    I've always wondered what it was really for but in my mind it is
> useless. for any reason I can see or hear.

Sacrilege.  CFT must be rolling over in his grave.  In Patent 204,110 CFT
refers to it as a sustaining-bar.  'Pulsator bar' must have come from the
marketing department.  According to CFT:

'The invention consists, first, in the combination, with a piano-forte
sounding-board, of a sustaining-bar (one or more) arranged crosswise with
relation to the ribs, and connected to the sounding-board, either above or
below, at a distance from the bridge equal or nearly equal to the distance
of the bridge from the opposite edge of the sounding-board, for the purpose
of preventing the sounding-board from warping without disturbing its proper
vibrations, and also forming a limit for the vibration; secondly, in the
combination, with the sounding-board, of two coincident sustaining-bars,
which are arranged crosswise to the ribs, and are fastened to said board,
one above and the other below, at a distance from the bridge equal or
nearly equal to the distance of the bridge from the opposite edge of the
sounding-board the upper bar being metallic, and supported by cushions of
wood, or other suitable material, for the purpose of preventing lateral
movement of the ribs, and to increase the duration and strength of the sound.'

He goes on to say:

    'By the action of the sustaining-bar C the sounding-board is prevented
from warping without disturbing the vibrations, and this effect is still
further increased by the employment of the sustaining-bars C D, one above
and the other below.  Furthermore, by the metallic sustaining-bar D, the
duration and strength of the sound are materially increased.
   My invention enables me to increase the area of the sounding-board
without incurring the danger that such sounding-board will bulge up or sag
down.  I have found that by running the sustaining bar or bars out to the
edges of the sounding-board the beneficial effect of the same is reduced.'

Which would seem to indicate that he felt that turning this into a full
cutoff bar would not be as 'beneficial' as having a 'sustaining-bar'.

The illustration of the patent shows the metal bar above the board and a
wooden bar below the ribs, although I have never actually seen a piano that
looked like that.  The patent does not mention or illustrate cutting down
the ribs in the corner.

Phil Ford