Erard evaluation

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:32:18 -0400

Bob wrote:
>Tomorrow I am going to look at an Erard grand that I
>moved for someone about 2 years ago.  The customer
>wants an estimate on rebuilding it.

Depends on whether they want to restore or rebuild. For restoration
to original condition the cost is very high, very difficult to
estimate accurately, and always comes out a lot more than
anticipated. The decision whether to restore depends quite a bit on
nailing the true date...

>Although I rebuild, I would not tackle this one myself so I need
>to find someone who is experienced in working on
>pianos such as this one that may date back to about 1830.

If it really is 1830 it is worth restoring for sure, particularly if
it has the original action echelle. These tended to be retrofitted by
the factory after the new action was brought out around 1840, so an
original early action echelle is quite rare. Even so an 1830s Erard
is a wonderful piano and would be ruined with a rebuild, turned into
a bastardized piece of junk with modern bits spliced in.

It shouldn't be difficult to work out the date. Apart from technical
characteristics (keyboard compass, length of c string(s), bracing vs
plate, straight vs overstrung etc.) there is the serial number....to
interpret that properly you need to determine if it is a London of
Paris Erard (look at the nameboard).

For comparison, check out the Erard page on my website:
http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett/erard_info.htm
There are various vintage Erards shown, including my 1836. Also, some
mp3 samples of restored Erards, both an 1822 and 1842 Erard. The
Louchet link contains quite a bit of Erard information too.

Report back please.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett