Erard evaluation

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:09:52 EDT

Let me add to the remarks. I have an Erard that has been in our shop for the
last 2 yrs...any hints so far?
Teardown warnings: be prepared to destroy the stretcher if you want to take
the plate out. The plate is bolted (internally)  through the stretcher with
about 20 bolts. The head of the bolts are buried in the stretcher.
The comment about taking good notes is an understatement. Take great,
detailed notes...you'll need it.
Is this a straight strung or over bass string scale?
Over damper or underdamper system?
What is the condition of the shanks? Do they have the "front checking" system
instead of the conventional backcheck?

And when you eventually finish this project, expect a nice, but sparse, thin,
and unassuming tone which will make it harder to justify all the time
required to tackle this beast. We have (sure) come a long way since the designs of
these instruments!
Tom Servinsky