Dampp-Chaser recommendations

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 06:06:11 -0400

I own a Boston GP-178, which is located in my home. I have about five rods
on it totaling about 190 Watts. The unit runs 80% of the time during periods
of high humidity. I do not have a bottom cover nor a string cover. The
tunings/pitch are steady as a rock.

I live in Florida. I do not have the humidifier installed, as it is not
needed. My comments below apply to such an installation.

For your piano and any institutional piano, I would recommend a standard DC
installation, with a bottom cover and a top cover for the entire piano (a
full cover that lays on top and hangs down the sides). Then plug a 120 Volt
analog electric clock (old fashioned type with hands) into the humidistat
along with the rest of the system for a week during a period of high
humidity.

Monitor the clock daily. That will tell you how much the unit is running. If
the clock never loses time, the unit never brought the RH down enough for it
to shut off - you need more wattage under the piano. Put enough wattage
under there so that it will turn off for at least a short while during what
you might anticipate to be maximum humidity conditions.

I don't know why more churches don't use a top cover (and a bottom cover) -
short of 24/7 whole-church humidity control, what better way to keep RH
right in the ballpark.

Terry Farrell