outside tuning on July 4--hopefully without fireworks

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:18:02 -0500

>I'm going to be tuning a "D" on an upcoming outdoor orchestral concert
>on July 4--my first outdoor one.  It'll be near a river at a park in
>humid Wisconsin in late afternoon.  I predict a "bit" of noise, but I
>hope not too many speedboats.

Try some earplugs. I find them very helpful in such situations. They will
filter out most of your ambient noise but let the coherent sound from the
piano come through. It is amazing how they do that, but it works. I use the
silicone gel variety you can buy in any drug store for $3-4. Pack them as
tight for bass and midrange, loosen them as you near upper treble.

They also work wonderfully for acoustically hard rooms.
Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802