Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:09:13 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tony Caught
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 6:21 AM
To: Pianotech; Tony Caught
Subject: Re: Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

----- Original Message -----

From: Tony Caught <mailto:caute@bigpond.com.au>

To: Pianotech <mailto:pianotech@ptg.org>

Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 10:23 PM

Hi all,

Yamaha flanges are already pinned and the travelling of the hammers is
restricted to about two or three hammers. Its aligning with the strings
that counts. So, Remove the flanges means remove the hammer assemblys,
replace the flanges, replace the hammer assemblys, align hammers to
strings, reface the hammers, jobs done.

Or.

Remove hammers only leaving flanges in place, remove dampers, strip old
cords out of flanges, replace cords, replace dampers, replace hammers.
Jobs done.

Me, I generally want to reface the hammers so I have a lot of flanges
that I have recorded whilst whatching TV or something.

Time for both jobs is roughly the same, cost of new flanges is an extra,
profit on time is the same.

Your call

Tony Caught
:

         Tony,

         No need to remove the dampers for cord replacement Remove the
hammer rest rail and hang the hammer assemblies from the straps whilst
stripping and replacing cords.

         I have a longer post on this subject in the archives.

         Tom Driscoll